[Server-devel] How to hack/test latest moodle code...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 00:48:15 EST 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Rangan Srikhanta <rangan at laptop.org.au> wrote:
> Thank you, these instructions were just what I was looking for!

Cool. Email via server-devel is best (do subscribe to the list at
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/server-devel )

> I have followed your instructions and noted the disappearance of the user
> list page which appears just before moodle (which is a great thing), but am
> now stuck on the moodle login page where it requests a username/password.
> How do I start populating users or at least login to moodle (previously I
> selected 'help me login')?

Ok, there's a missing step - you have to _register_ the laptop to the
XS. Steps to go through (and things you can check to see it's worked)
here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Schoolserver_Testing#Laptop_Registration

You'll have to _restart the laptop_ after this. After the restart,
going to the XS with the new Browse.xo will automagically log you in.

> Two Linksys WRT54GLs configured in WAP mode
> One D-Link 5-port Switch
> School Server - Compaq CQ2000AN with 1Gb Ram, 160GB SATA disk drive, Intel
> Atom processor plus an Ethernet-to-USB adaptor (i.e. eth1), so this means
> eth0 goes straight-through to the internet, eth1 to the switch.
> 180+ XO laptops

Nice setup :-)

> Areaswe are looking to focus our testing:
> 1. Registering all XOs to School Server
> 2. Creating Lesson Plans and registering students to the course

Step 2 will require moodle expertise. better group mgmt tools are in
the plan, but not there yet.

Actually, search the wiki and the list for my notes on the plan for
handling roles in moodle (hint: the first XO to register and visit
moodle gets 'course creator' role).

> 3. Accessing flash based content in moodle and seeing the performance of the
> objects
> 4. Seeing the stability of the neighbourhood and friends view to allow group
> chats and games to occur

Cool.

> At this stage we are attempting to strike the balance between the
> practicalities of teachers creating and maintaining courses and helping them
> achieve their curriculum outcomes.

Good stuff. I am fairly busy with things the next few weeks -- I'm
confident you'll find your way with moodle :-)

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com