[Server-devel] web file manager

Rodolfo D. Arce S. rodolfoarce at eyuhoo.com
Tue Jun 16 12:44:14 EDT 2009

Hello:

Just wanted to let you know that we are using a php file manager to
upload files to the schoolserver and later shared through the apache
web server.. we're using XS 0.5.2

The project is called phpajaxfilemanager, and is open source, we
placed in the /library/uploads directory in the schoolserver, don't
forget to change permissions so apache can access them

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pafm/

We create to aliases in the webserver.. using a config file like
this.. we changed values for the php.ini file from this configuration,
and applied only to the alias, so no other aplications (like moodle)
would be affected by this changes

# /etc/httpd/conf.d/002-uploader.conf
Alias /upload /library/uploads
<Directory /library/uploads>
  AllowOverride All
  php_value upload_max_filesize 10000000
  php_value post_max_size 10000000
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias /files /library/uploads/files
<Directory /library/uploads/files>
  Options Indexes
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

With this two aliases.. the teachers can use the "upload" interface
wich has a very simple authentication.. and the children or other
teachers can access to the "files" aliases, without having to
authenticate, and they wont be able to erase anything, upload or
modify anything

I'll admit that is not the safest way to share files using the
schoolserver, but it works fine for us.. do you think that are other
ways of doing this?? are other deployments using different methods??

cheers.. R