[Server-devel] the "first user is admin" moodle policy

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Jun 16 12:27:58 EDT 2009

Hi,

I don't feel that the "first user is admin" policy in the new XS-0.6 is
going to agree with deployment procedures that well, especially when you
are deploying XSes in number.

For example in Paraguay, we installed all the XSes at the office and a
separate team installed them in the schools. We might want the head of
the school to be the course creator person, but at that time we haven't
even assigned him/her a laptop so registering him would be impossible.

How about this instead: Nobody is course creator by default.
We add a command that can be run by root on the XS, which creates a new
user account with a chosen username and password that has admin rights?
And in addition, we add a similar command that can be used to promote an
already-registered XO to course creator, based on it's serial number.

	xs-moodle-create-admin <username> <password>
	xs-moodle-set-xo-as-admin <serial number>

Daniel