[Server-devel] Aliasing and backup

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 11:36:24 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Dave Bauer <dave at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> Ok I ran the backup and then tried to login to the schoolserver from Browse.
> It prefills in my login name as the aliased user instead of the new username
> and my magic cookie doesn't work anymore.

Correct. Once your 'new' machine has been aliased to the old account,
you restart Browse and you're in your old account.

> I guess its changing the username when I try to login and it doesn't match.

Nothing to do with usernames :-) it's down to the serial number of the machine.

> I'll see if I can track this down, I am not sure where it gets the cookie
> and how aliasing works yet.

The aliasing is fairly "high level".  In the 'login to moodle'
process, moodle checks whether your SN is aliased to any other
account. If so, it logs you into that _other_ acct instead.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com