[Server-devel] Newbie problems

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 17:37:54 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Varun Arora <futuregenious at gmail.com>wrote:

> I installed all packages including MySQL DB, X Window System, GNOME etc. on
> installation of XS 5.2. Unfortunately, after installation I tried to run
> MySQL and it did not run. It was not installed. X Windows did not seem to
> installed. I had checked both these during installation. I know GUI is not
> is not important for most network admins, but I just wanted to know why the
> stable installation disc does not install them even though I checked them.

I'm not on the dev team, but I've installed MySQL and X Windows on an XS.
Those packages are not on the XS install media, so it doesn't matter if you
check them during the install process.

> I did manage to download the X packages later using Yum, but that led to
> serious instability such as failure to login from GNOME and bad network
> connectivity. Had to freshly install.

Did you do yum groupinstall?  You can see which groups are available with
yum grouplist.  For example, you can do:

yum groupinstall X Window System
yum groupinstall GNOME Desktop Environment
yum groupinstall MySQL Database

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham