[Server-devel] Newbie problems

Varun Arora futuregenious at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 17:25:01 EDT 2009

Hey XS Dev team,

I am a ICT consultant working in the South Pacific Islands. Sorry if you
guys are tired of reading newbie problems. But I had a serious concern with
installation of XS in a pilot deployment in Niue:

I installed all packages including MySQL DB, X Window System, GNOME etc. on
installation of XS 5.2. Unfortunately, after installation I tried to run
MySQL and it did not run. It was not installed. X Windows did not seem to
installed. I had checked both these during installation. I know GUI is not
is not important for most network admins, but I just wanted to know why the
stable installation disc does not install them even though I checked them. I
did manage to download the X packages later using Yum, but that led to
serious instability such as failure to login from GNOME and bad network
connectivity. Had to freshly install.

Just wanted to know why this is happening and if there is a work around it.
I waited for several hours on the IRC channel for help, but there were only
a couple of folks on.

Thanks!

Varun