[Server-devel] Update on Registering SoaS

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 23:36:21 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Caroline
Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> Just so we have two threads and we don;t get it confused with the GPA work,
> where we are just trying to get collaboration working right now, here is
> where I am with testing the SoaS registration code.

Cool.

> On a Sugar stick in my house.
>
> I have successfully registered with one of Solution Grove's XS Moodle. :)
> I have a backup tab! :)
> I don't have any files in my backup tab. :(

in that "at home" case, maybe ds-backup-client (+ patches) isn't installed.

I see you installed ds-backup-client at GPA -- probably the problem is
that you didn't register. The server won't let you backup until you
register.

> The code is also on the Sticks we are using at the GPA but I have not told
> any of the kids to click the Register button (which does exist!) yet.

Ok - sorry, i thought it had been disabled in recent Sugars.

If you do hit Register, then manual configuration of the jabber server
should not be needed. If you do set the jabber server manually, it is
important that you do give it the "right name".

> echo '206.192.23.224 schoolserver.solutiongrove.com schoolserver' >>
> /etc/hosts

That's a hint of trouble. Strong recommendation: Either use the DNS
and DHCP server that the XS provides, or look at all the DNS names you
have to provide (that Sugar expects) and get them set in the
'canonical' DNS server of the network.

(I've posted it a few times in the past here, it can also be found
looking at the named config files that are part of xs-config.)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com