[Server-devel] IP addressing of access points

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Jan 28 16:10:46 EST 2009

2009/1/28 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> The "base" range has a very large netblock.  It is a /19 at 172.18.96.
> with 8K addresses for the LAN / AP network. How do we "reserve" the IP
> addreses?
>
>  - All together? (do your APs like to be on top, or bottom?)
>
>  - a few per /8? (can make routing easier for a truly large setup?
> Again, top or bottom?
>
> Help come up w something that can be used everywhere. I assume if we
> spare up to 512 addresses (one AP per every 15 laptops!), we still
> have quite a bit of flexibility in terms of routing (if we grab a few
> per /8).

I don't think this matters for us. We're looking at less than 20 APs
per school (much less, probably, just being safe) and we don't
anticipate having to create advanced routing setups (or are we missing
something? largest school is 400 kids per shift, 800 total).

So, I suggest a coin toss. Or walking over to your AP, asking it's
preference, and observing it's morse code response.

Daniel