[Server-devel] IP addressing of access points

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:01:20 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:08 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> 1. Modify the XS dhcpd config to not use the entire address range for
> DHCP. Then we statically assign IP addresses to the APs in the
> non-DHCP range.

Yeah, I also like this one. I think Bryan and Tony were asking me the
same question couple of weeks ago over at 1cc.

The "base" range has a very large netblock.  It is a /19 at 172.18.96.
with 8K addresses for the LAN / AP network. How do we "reserve" the IP
addreses?

 - All together? (do your APs like to be on top, or bottom?)

 - a few per /8? (can make routing easier for a truly large setup?
Again, top or bottom?

Help come up w something that can be used everywhere. I assume if we
spare up to 512 addresses (one AP per every 15 laptops!), we still
have quite a bit of flexibility in terms of routing (if we grab a few
per /8).

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com