[Server-devel] XS L10n

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:05:15 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 1:32 AM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just out of curiousity.  Are the UI strings in the XS builds beginning to
> stabilize to the point that it might make sense to create a POT file for the
> localization community to start working on?

(Chris - your question is very good, timely and relevant, so CC'ing
server-devel, hope that's ok)

There are 2 parts that may be localised...

  - The commandline tools - low priority, only exposed to the sysadmin
team that manages the deployment. They have to be unix/linux geeks
anyway...

  - The XS "UI": Moodle. This is what's worthwhile translating. We'll
use Moodle with a couple of customisations. The customisations are
still evolving but Moodle's strings are well established. The problem
is that it doesn't use Pootle, it uses its own translation strings
stuff. I've been discussing this... see

   Some discussion on Moodle.org (use the login-as-guest button)
   http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=93360

   Discussion on server-devel
   http://www.mail-archive.com/server-devel@lists.laptop.org/msg01419.html

   Look for 'pootle' in this irc meeting log
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Conf_08_MAR_25_Notes

   Googling right now, I see someone has a pootle-to-moodle
translation tool, w00t!?
   http://osdir.com/ml/misc.translate.devel/2007-07/msg00018.html

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com