[Server-devel] Mass olpc-update via XS?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 23:51:00 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> Sorry about that, I should have written this up.

Thanks for telling more :-)

> The change here is the addition of an "xs-upserv" script, and it's
> probably not useful for the XS -- you already have an xs-rsync setup
> that does the same thing.  We wrote it while in UY for their non-XS
> school server, as a quick script to turn any machine into an update
> server: it takes a directory tree with a build per directory, creates
> an rsyncd.conf that exposes each build, and launches rsyncd with the
> new config to serve the builds.

hmm hmmm. Maybe we can include it anyway, and set a "canonical" dir
where it scans for trees. In fact, I think it already unpacks anything
it finds in /library/xs-rsync/xobuids-packed/ . The rpm can probably
install and Just Work with alien, I made sure all its deps are in
Debian.

Was there a strong reason to avoid xinetd? Strong reason to avoid fakechroot?

(Assuming you removed them for ease-of-coding, I'd keep them for
unified maintenance...)

> At the time, we needed something to prove that UY's modified 767 build
> could be upgraded to by their modified 649 build using their local
> school servers, without the assumptions made by the xs-rsync setup.

Assumptions being the "insert-usb-disk" triggers? Or something else?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com