[Server-devel] Various / PDF resources in Moodle

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 06:54:03 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (A) PDFs uploaded to Moodle folders always open in the Rainbow-Daemon
>> dialogue when you left click on the links. If you go to hyperlinks on HTML
>> pages either in my local public folders or out on the net, a PDF file always
>> opens in the Browse version of PDF reader when you left click on it. In all
>> my tests it is fully reproducable using both B4 and C1s. I would prefer them
>> to open in Read activity, which has but it's not a huge problem, they are
>> very similar. One can also Keep and then open from the Journal. But why the
>> rainbow-daemon window?
>
> Ok, so you are saying that a PDF hosted elsewhere opens in the
> in-browser PDF reader, but a Moodle-hosted one doesn't?
>
> I will explore that -- can you file a bug (as discussed) with some
> example PDFs you find that work correctly?

Explored and diagnosed. When in Moodle you say "add a resource -> link
to a file or website", and then you pick a PDF, you will see a
"force-download" option, that defaults to off.

 - Keep it off, and you will see the PDF "inline" ;-)

 - Turn it on and it will force a download to the Journal.

it'd be nice to have the options there simplified and better labelled.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com