[Server-devel] Pushing Activities to XOs

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 19:27:59 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Gerald Ardito <gerald.ardito at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have about 140 XOs connecting to a XS server (version .6).
> Can I "push" activities to the laptops?

Yes but...

 - it is only easy if you prepared things on your base image for the
XOs beforehand

 - it doesn't 'push' the activities, but a visit to control panel ->
software update will trigger the update

On the XS, this is handled by xs-activity-server -- documented in
/usr/share/doc/xs-activity-server/README. The XOs need to know to look
to the XS, this is controlled by a little config file documented in
the wikipage of the software updater.

My recommendation for something effective: put the .xo files on the
XS, link to them with large icons on the Moodle homepage. Our
experience with Uy is that kids learn how to install/upgrade
activities easily... and find it addictive. Only a disk-full will stop
them ;-)

[ The OS/UI design way back then was to make updating the OS
controllable centrally, and to leave activity upgrades as a
user-driven action. I mention this to explain the hysterical raisins,
no justification or judgement on the topic... ]

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com