[Server-devel] Managing global site resources when using segregated groups

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 08:36:00 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 11:40 PM, David Leeming
<david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> That was very helpful, Martin. I will try the global glossary. I also noted
> that if users are added as guests only, then they can see the resources but
> are not connected by the presence service. A less elegant way to do it
> perhaps.

Yes, guest access is a possible approach. But truly global resources
are in their "right place" at the site course... and that is supported
by ancillary mechanisms within Moodle (ie: glossary autolinking ;-) )

> On the B4s below, well I have two C1s and 2 B4s and they were all updated
> with exactly the same flashdrive (build 802 and same activity bundle). So
> they should behave identically apart from hardware issues. But the issue
> below remains, any other clues I can look for?

Ok, that's very weird. Tell me, are they registered ok? Check that...

 - the XO does not list 'register' in the menu

 - the XS lists the XO when you run /home/idmgr/list_registrations

 - in Moodle, the 'course admin' user can see the relevant user
account under admin -> users -> browse

To be frank, I initially doubt it's a hw/sw problem because the
authentication depends on Browse.xo reading serial number / uuid of
the machine. If the sn/uuid are not readable (due to bad hardware, or
bad OFW), then the registration would fail as well.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com