[Server-devel] K2 Content/Classroom Management System

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Tue Aug 4 14:23:21 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 11:58 PM, <rayb at apc.edu.ph> wrote:
> > I am Ray Baquirin of Asia Pacific College in Makati, Philippines.  We are
> looking to port to the XS  the Classroom Management System that Caroline
> Meeks posted about here:
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2009-July/003690.html
>
> Cool - welcome to the list!
>
> > It seems to me that the basic functionality is already in Moodle, in that
> activities can be presented or not to a Moodle user depending on his group
> memberships.  On investigating how Flash content can be embedded in Moodle,
> I found that (1) Moodle supports SCORM and (2) a lot of Flash eLearning
> content is actually packaged as SCORM.
>
> Yes. And yes. My strong recommendation is to target SCORM. A fallback
> option may be Matt Bury "flash" module, but it is not recommended.
>
> > So, what we're proposing to do first is take some Flash videos, embed
> them in SCORM objects, put them in Moodle and looking at how the
> groups/permissions features of Moodle can be used to manage them.
>
> Sounds good -- do remember that the XOs don't normally ship with
> fullblown Adobe Flash, they ship with Gnash. Targetting gnash is an
> interesting area, one where I'd like to hear more about.
>
> If you talk nicely to them, the Gnash developers will be very keen to help
> too.

There are people on the Sugar Devel list working on making the games run on
Sugar.  They are having some issues, but its probably not Flash vs Gnash at
the root cause of them. The Teachermate hardware only uses Gnash afaik.

Cross posting so you guys can find each other.

> > I've also installed the XS server software on a PC and our networking
> people are setting it up so later we can test with an XO accessing Moodle on
> the XS.  but it seems to me that we could be doing this work on on a plain
> vanilla Moodle installation?  If that is the case, perhaps discussing the
> project is off-topic for this list?
>
> Sounds right to test and debug it in a vanilla Moodle first. We do
> customise some stuff, but nothing that breaks the main APIs.
>
> Things to keep in mind:
>
>  - If you write Moodle code, don't rely on admin (or on the
> 'doanything' capability). We don't give our users the 'admin' account.
> The workflow to setup, manage and use the content must be doable with
> non-admin roles. (Search this list for coursecreator for more
> details).
>
>  - XO screen size, hw performance in general, browser compatibility,
> gnash compatibility, etc.
>
> cheers,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect