[Server-devel] An Opportunity to bring vital content to the Sugar/XO world - Needs technical help.

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Fri Jul 17 15:27:28 EDT 2009

We have an opportunity to bring a program of K-2 English Reading and Math
content to our Sugar users for free.

http://www.innovationsforlearning.org/software_demo.php

Ignore the teachermate hardware and the $100 a machine price tag. The
concept is we make this available for Sugar for free.  So if you have XOs or
a machines you can use with Sugar on a Stick, you can use it for free.

If you watch the Classroom management video you'll see they have aligned it
to major Basal Curriculum programs or it can be used without. It can
differentiate instruction for groups and students.  This is vital
functionality.  We need to port this to the Sugar world, probably by putting
it on the XS, maybe as a module in Moodle.

Tomeu has done some work on making the activities work in Sugar, but I don't
think anyone has looked at how we enable classroom management.

Why I think this is important:

   - When I listen to feedback from the deployments, they all talk about the
   need for content.
   - When I see for myself what its like to use Sugar in a school, I think
   we need an on-ramp for teachers.  This program would be an easy way to get
   the teachers to start using Sugar and computers without going very far
   outside of what they already know. Its aligned with the major curriculum
   programs they are already using.  My belief is if they take the first step,
   and use Sugar, they and their students will explore further.  Too much
   technology sits in the classroom closet. This seems like it would be used by
   lots of teachers, not just the most technological ones.
   - This could be a model for other nonprofits for how to use Sugar to
   distribute content they have created for our age level.
   - It would be an excellent selling point for teachers trying to bring
   Sugar into their schools.

Please help us find someone (or a team) who has time and skills to tackle
the technical challenge of porting/recreating the classroom management
component.

Thanks!
Caroline

--