[Server-devel] how to turn off OLPC autologin authentication?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 09:20:18 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Joshua N Pritikin<jpritikin at pobox.com> wrote:
> Our site is one of the crazy OLPC sites that lacks sufficient funds to
> supply one laptop to every child. We are using the infamous "computer
> lab" model. Hence, I want to turn off the wonderful OLPC autologin
> authentication method and use the tedious manual method.

Strange request. Yes, that patch will do what you want.

You do buy into a much harder usage model

 - users -- even those 6 year olds -- will have to know a username/password

 - account creation & management will have to be manual. you will need
to use the real 'admin' account to create the users (maybe using the
CSV upload technique). Self-registration requires that the user can
access email first, and IIRC outbound email is disabled. This also
blocks email-based password reset/recovery.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com