[Server-devel] Filtering and authentication

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Mon Apr 27 11:13:42 EDT 2009

I suggest this discussion be taken to iaep or some other non-technical list
where educational issues are discussed.  When there, we can ask questions
about the widespread objectification of and violence against women in visual
pornography and the educational goals it serves.  Also the relative
magnitude of that compared with other traffic on the net as a whole, and its
effect (when unconstrained) on the ability of a school to deliver desired
material.  Are you a parent Henry?

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Henry Edward Hardy <hhardy01 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> I'm a bit disturbed when I hear people using the euphemism "filtering" for
> automated, computerized censorship. I understand there may be legislative or
> political mandates. However, we should never talk about this as though it is
> a good or desirable or acceptable thing.
>
> I realize this may be seen as off topic from the merely technical
> discussion of how to implement computerized censorship, but when we calmly
> discuss technicalities of something which is obviously wrong without
> questioning it, then the discussion needs to be aired.
>
> "Filtering" is what you do to the water in a fish tank. "Censorship" is
> when a state or quasi-state agency proscribes and limits access to certain
> classes of written material.
>
> Here are a few tests we should apply to any such proposed system.
>
> Does it allow access to information about "Romeo and Juliet"? (Underage
> sex, gang-oriented violence, suicide, murder)
>
> Does it allow access to "Huckleberry Finn" (Slavery, frequent use of the
> word "nigger")
>
> Does it allow access to "The Catcher in the Rye" (Use of "fuck", blasphemy,
> drinking, smoking, lying, promiscuity, implied pederasty)
>
> Does it allow access to "Heather has Two Mommies" (Lesbianism)
>
> Does it allow access to "Our Bodies, Ourselves" (Information about human
> health, sex and sexuality)
>
> Does it allow access to "Slaughterhouse-Five" (Genocide, strategic bombing,
> sex)
>
> Does it allow access to "Of Mice and Men" (Retardation, sex, rape, murder)
>
> Does it allow access to "The Handmaid's Tale" (Sexual roles, patriarchy,
> racism, and theocracy)
>
> Does it allow access to "The Kite Runner" (Homosexuality, rape)
>
> Does it allow access to "His Dark Materials" (Anti-state, anti-catholic,
> magic and witchcraft)
>
> Does it allow access to "One Hundred Years of Solitude" (Alchemy, murder,
> debauchery)
>
> Does it allow access to "1984" (Torture, illicit sex, anti-state and
> anti-party politics)
>
> Does it allow access to "Canterbury Tales" (Promiscuity, anti-clericalism)
>
> Does it allow access to  "The Decameron" (Anti-state, anti-Catholic and
> general ribaldry, such as the Third Day, Tenth Story, "How to put the Devil
> in Hell")
>
> And in terms of websites particularly,
>
> RateMyTeachers.com
>
> Peacefire.org
>
> Facebook
>
> Myspace
>
> Orkut
>
> Google
>
> YouTube
>
> Sites which criticize the ruling party or government.
>
> Sites which criticize or parody the predominant religion.
>
> Blogs, in general
>
> And classes of internet services such as
>
> Usenet
>
> FSP

> [...]

"I don't consider him a particularly reliable source of information."

-- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, at a House Foreign Affairs Committee
meeting, on former Vice President Dick Cheney.