[Server-devel] Hoping for assistance with XS 0.5 configuration difficulties (ejabberd)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 13:28:42 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Daniel Bennett <dantana at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just sent this to Reuben.  I have done some digging through the log file
> and haven't seen anything useful.  Do I perhaps need to set the ejabberd.cfg
> file to 5:debug instead of 4:Verbose?  i remember seeing something about
> that inside it.

You can, but you probably won't need it. Follow the wikipage
instructions carefully and it will work ok :-)

> Unfortunately, we we haven't set up a GUI, web browser, or emailing
> capabilities of any kind on the server itself so emailing the log file will
> be a roadblock for me.  I haven't worked in linux for about 5 years now

Plug in a usb stick in a usb port on the server, and in a few secs it
will be automounted as /media/usb0/ - copy the file there with the cp
command.

I would also say -- OLPCCorps projects _must_ have someone who can
wrangle a bit of Linux. Who is that person in your group?

> On  the subject of following instructions, there have been two of us working
> on the server, sometimes one at a time so I can't guarantee that we've
> followed them to a T, but we both believe that we have.  We've gone so far

I would suggest start from the beginning - reinstalling - and follow
the instructions. If you cannot coordinate 2 people, just get one
persone to do it.

ejabberd is a bit temperamental unfortunately.

> as to rerun the initial scripts, recheck hostname, reset the acl lines in
> ejabberd.cfg repeatedly, connect to the jabber server with 2 different

reset the acl lines? I think you are following some odd instructions.
Please make sure you are following
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software

> And we've been following hunches at each step so we have pulled some of the
> instructions out of related pages from the wiki.

Don't follow hunches. Reinstall and follow
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software to the letter.

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com