[Server-devel] Looking at edublog moodle code --

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 20:02:15 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyway, I believe I should be cleaning up the messes I create, so I'll try
>> to write two patches based on the current moodle-r2 code in catalyst (1-
>> enable tinyMCE, 2-integrate the Sugar theme).  With some luck I should be
>> done by Monday.
>
> That sounds like a large-ish job. If you do it, I'll take them, but no
> pressure. They aren't hugely important (yet).

BTW, one large patch with each thing might not be the best idea. For
example, for tinyMCE, I'd do the following commits

A1 - import the pristine tinyMCE src
A2 - changes on top of tinyMCE needed to work with moodle
A3 - core changes to moodle (say, moodlelib.php)
A4 - any "ancillary" changes -- add options in the /admin area, etc

When a new version of tinyMCE comes out, then the workflow is

 B1 - import new pristine tinyMCE
 B2 - reapply A2

along the 'stable' moodle versions, you can just use git-merge. But
when a major new version of moodle comes out, you'll need to rebase
things

C1 - Reapply B1
C2 - Reapply B2
C3 - Reapply A3
C4 - Reapply A4

Of course all those 'reapply' actions might need manual conflict
resolution :-) but if you don't have them as separate commits
everything gets a whole lot harder.

(Tricks of the trade - I've been doing this "maintain a custom version
of $project" stuff for ~8 years now.)

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com