[Server-devel] F9 XS - Take it for a spin... updated

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 19:39:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> with some caveats... this is a developer preview, lots of things are
> b0rken, but still...

some caveats, but now most stuff works. Wohoo! Updated instructions...

 - download all 759MB of iso here
 http://xs-dev.laptop.org/xs/other/Fedora-0.5.dev3-i386.iso

 - Burn it to a DVD (see notes below on using USB sticks)

 - Install it on a new machine - use the kickstart-driven default menu
option and agree to all the defaults (it'll do the right partitioning
for you too)

 - After install
   1 - login as root
   2 - do the 'domain_config' dance...

 - If you have 2 NICs and F9 got them the wrong way around, just
 invoke xs-swapnics and reboot

 - There are several updates and fixes in the olpcxs-testing repo, so do
   yum --disablerepo=olpcxs --enablerepo=olpcxs-testing install
xs-config xs-pkgs

 (if you do "yum update" you'll get a ton of updates related to the
GPG key change, I'll sort that out soon).

Other installation notes...

- Upgrades:
 -> Use the text mode install if you want to upgrade - there's a bug
in anaconda's GUI...
 -> append 'upgradeany' to the kernel commandline

 - From a USB device! Ah, well, mildly annoying -
  - grab mkusbinstall from here
 http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/xs-livecd;a=tree;f=util;h=202b31c7ef280036e3edd99ef68871e3d0815295;hb=HEAD
  - use it like you'd use livecd-iso-to-disk
  - Anaconda will fail to kind the ks file - fix the path to be
 'hd:sdb1:/ks.cfg' - assuming your USB disk is mounted as sdb1. It may
 require waiting a few seconds until sdb1 is mounted.
  - Anaconda will need to be told where the ISO is. Pick Hard Drive
 install, sdb1, and the path is 'iso'

What's not there yet

 - fakechroot doesn't play well with rsync. Waiting on upstream to nod
 at the patches, though they look good to me, and we do have an RPM for
 it.

 - ejabberd is the wrong version - got to fix that. The SRPM
http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/cassidy/ejabberd-rpm;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/XS

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com