[Server-devel] Libertas firmware on F9 for the XS

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 01:08:40 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Deepak Saxena <dsaxena at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Sep 12 2008, at 14:12, Martin Langhoff was caught saying:
>> On this same thread, yesterday... Deepak Saxena <dsaxena at laptop.org> wrote:
>> > For the XO 8.2 kernel we had to pull forward some patches from the stable
>> > 2.6.22 branch that are not upstream to get multicast RX to work properly
>> > (#7319).
>
> Some clarifcation. The issue is not the firmware, but the kernel driver
> itself as there are pieces from the 2.6.22 driver that never made it
> upstream.

Yup it's an incompatibility between the stock F9 kernel and the recent
firmwares.

> My suggestion is to run the same driver and firmware on both XS and XO
> so we do not have multiple variables to deal with.

I generally agree, but unfortunately, that adds significant work (of
carrying custom-compiled drivers) to a tiny team of 2. We don't have a
kernel maintainer in the XS team :-/

That is why I need good solid reasons to move off the stock F9 stuff.
With an already overstretched team I cannot get into Libertas testing
or custom kernels... unless I can point to specific bugs. If I have
specific bugs to look at, then it can be triaged with the rest of the
work I have on the table...

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com