[Server-devel] Libertas firmware on F9 for the XS

Ricardo Carrano carrano at laptop.org
Thu Sep 11 21:49:07 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Ricardo Carrano <carrano at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Fedora 9 ships with a 2.6.25 kernel with a new libertas driver.
>> Because of the changes implemented in this driver, you should use the
>> latest firmware (22.p18). Please, never use 2.6.25 kernel with older
>> firmware.
>
> Ok, however...
>
>> The result is the instability you see.
>
> Sorry - I should have been clearer - the instability I was mentioning
> was pre-F9 upgrade. I haven't been running a F9 XS with AAs long
> enough... until yesterday it was reinstall/reboot/lather/rinse/repeat.
>
>> In short, for everyone:
>> Don't use anything different from 22.p14, 22.p17 or 22.p18. In kernel
>> 2.6.25 use 22.p18.
>
> Right. It's not that simple however. Before switch to the versions you
> recommend I want to have the complete picture *including known bugs*.
> Can you help me with that? (That's what my earlier "with my release
> manager hat on..." hint was all about :-) ).
>
> In short, I need an overview of what works and what doesn't with F9
> stock kernel and 22.p18. So far:
>
>  - Deepak mentions issues w/multicast

I'm not sure exactly of what we're talking about here. Could you or
Deepak clarify what are these issues?

>  - There are odd bugs with WPA

In fact, we are fixing timing issues that prevent the XO to connect to
certain WPA access points under certain conditions (timing in 802.11
is influenced by external conditions too, hence the randomness and
intermittent behavior and the need of using "certain")

There are other possible hot areas that should not be a problem for
the XS (as suspend/resume interactions with wireless and problems in
some XO's wlan modules (do not enumerate -  still not clear to me if
this is related to the firmware)

If there are other bugs (and there is always corner cases) they are
bellow my radar now.