[Server-devel] offline moodle

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Wed Sep 3 07:13:04 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 22:57 +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My apologies - I need to do some research on how to setup the
> repo.or.cz. As an immediate expedient, I have attached the relevant
> files to this email. When I get a little time, I will set this up
> properly. The readme tries to describe the files and how they are used.

hey Tony, this is a good start. I have a somewhat different workflow in
mind. Here is a narrative that describes what I am thinking

User Story 1: Intermittent School attendance and School Server Outage

Monday
1. Kid goes to class
2. Teacher directs kids Moodle site
3. Kid navigates to Moodle Module for Class 2 math for the current month
4. Kid clicks 'download' link next Moodle module
5. This action downloads a the moodle module as a ".xo" bundle and
locally installs it to the XO
5.1 Inside the module are readings, pictures, animations, etc. all
available offline
6. School ends on Monday

Tuesday
Kid can't go to school. Mom and little brother are sick, has to take
care of them. Kid opens up XO and offline Moodle activity he downloaded
the day before. He does lessons that show him basic concepts, introduce
him to basic animations using activities like Etoys, and reads
explanations that answer some of the things he doesn't understand.

Wednesday
Kid still can't go to school. Has to help out in the fields. Later that
day the kid spends some time w/ the Moodle module

Thursday
Kid goes back to school. Kid isn't behind the other because he followed
the lesson plan at home. This has social importance that shouldn't be
understated.

Over night there was an electrical surge that fried the school server.
The teacher can still instruct using the XO because she has it installed
locally as an activity and so do the kids.

The key here is that we need to package each offline moodle course as
an .XO Activity Bundle. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles

Getting started, we only need the most basic features of Moodle.
Basically page navigation and the ability to display flash animations
and embedded pdfs for the supplementary readings.

In time we can look at adding more dynamic stuff like access to the
gradebook but that can wait. In Nepal's context, our kids have no
libraries and maybe 4 small coursebooks.

Hope this helps and sorry I haven't been able to provide you w/ more
feedback earlier.

Pls post our correspondence regarding Offline Moodle to the
Server-Developers mailing list.

Bryan W. Berry
Systems Engineer
OLE Nepal, http://www.olenepal.org