[Server-devel] Network route for activation time and netblocks for WLAN - 172.18.16.x reaching the XS

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 20:22:59 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Martin Langhoff wrote:
>>  - there seems to be no routing between 172.18.16.x and 172.18.0.1
>>

>    GATEWAY1=172.18.1.2
>    ADDRESS1=172.18.16.0
>    NETMASK1=255.255.248.0
>
> Is routed out eth1 though 1.2, based on the .2, that should be for a second
> xs server no?

Oops. You are right. Hmmm. Two problems

 - The address must be served by server 1 so single server setups just
work for activation. My recommendation is going to be for single
server setups for quite a while I suspect... (deciding where to split
the workload without seeing the workload is something I rather not do
:-/ perhaps once I've seen a couple of real life sites with heavy
workload I'll warm up to some pre-canned rules on how to split the
services...)

 - The routing there is off - server number 2 does not know
172.18.16.x -- if I call network_config 2 br0 is on .18 not .16 . I
copied the routing straight from olpc-mesh-config,