[Server-devel] usb drive based installs.

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 2 02:39:27 EDT 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 6:07 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>>        grab: http://members.shaw.ca/jvonau/pub/mkusbinstall
>> Wow, that's a good start! I'll play with it!
>
> Now that the network stuff is done (?) I'm playing with this, and I'm
> starting to understand your questions last week a bit more.
>
> It gets to stage2 and asks 'where are the ISO images?'. I'm telling it
> to look in /dev/sdb1 , directory 'iso' and it picks it up from there
> ok. Is there a way to make it 'just work'? You mentioned on a separate
> thread that the F10 anaconda is a bit smarter; if it's stable enough
> to use it, I don't mind backporting it.
>
> cheers,

Grin... Yup, the boot prompt just needs to have the method= or repo=
passed, in the simple case of a single hard drive and the usb key would
be method=hd:sdb1:/iso with the lang= and keyboard= options set also as
not to stop at the stage1 questions. Should be able to use a kickstart
file for that and just pass ks= at the boot prompt. I just didn't add
that into the default boot config, as the usbkey may not always be
present to anaconda as "sdb" if there is more than one harddrive ;-/
Quick edit though, just add that to the boot args in syslinux.cfg.

Jerry