[Server-devel] Network route for activation time and netblocks for WLAN - 172.18.16.x reaching the XS

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 02:34:53 EDT 2008

Hi Wad,

It's a good time to sort out our network changes. In our earlier
discussion about activation you mentioned that you suspected that we
had dropped or broken a bit of routing or network configuration for
the XS. Can you give me a bit more background?

To recap

 - XOs looking for activation leases self-assign an address in 172.18.16.x
 - there seems to be no routing between 172.18.16.x and 172.18.0.1

On server_num 1, br2 ris the closest thing we have, and it is
172.18.14.1/23 . The lowest netblock in use by server_num 2 is
172.18.18.1/23 so we can add another bridge or fiddle with the netmask
on server_num 1. With the new config scheme on xs-0.5 it is a whole
lot easier too :-)

Also - from what you were saying recently, we also want to setup a
large netblock to be served from the LAN addr on server_num 1. Has
anyone done a setup with many auxiliary servers? We can respect the IP
numbering segmentation by taking 172.18.72.1/19 which is clear of
server_num 8, and gives us 8190 ip addresses.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com