[Server-devel] 9.1 Proposal: Printing support

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Tue Oct 21 09:33:23 EDT 2008

When I am asked about whether the XO handles printing, I present that
the fact it does not is a feature, not a bug.

And people understand.

It is not out of the ordinary that the life of school printers will be
the life of the first set of ink cartridges or toner, there being no
budget to refill them once they are gone.  Of course people could pay a
few cents a copy for the toner fund, but then that would require endless
structure, trust it will not be misused, etc...

It is true that, for too many teachers, what is not on paper actually
does not exist, thus limiting the "usefulness" of the XO in their minds
to an almost nil value unless it can print.
Getting things printed is not the way to solve this, just as VSAT is not
the way to get internet - neither can be scaled up, neither is
sustainable.  As Martin wisely indicates and I agree wholeheartedly,
this is more a social problem than one of software.

Ultimately having the Write documents to be printed be uploaded to a
specific folder in the XS, and that be the queue for printing should be
rather simple (the "print" function on the XO would do that, and the
destination folder is pre-defined and is a static destination or else is
picked up from a specific set of data when the XO connects to the XS).
But that does not solve the problem that, outside rich countries, there
simply be no printer or resources to follow through.

Yama