[Server-devel] 9.1 Proposal: Printing support

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Oct 21 07:03:04 EDT 2008

On 10/21/08, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 9:24 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> > *But*, we should be able to:
> >    *  Print postscript (or pdf, or whatever, just pick *one*) to
> > school server via CUP (IPP?), and install a "decent selection" of
> > printer drivers on the school server. Control panel for 'default
> > printer name', fixed to 'XS' by default.
>
> Ok - adding the XS side of this is something we can do in the 9.1 lifecycle.
>
> As I mentioned in my other email, the mechanical part of getting
> printing done is not the most interesting part of the job. It's the

I think we're on the same page here.  For 9.1, what's the *least* work
we can do to get *something* done on the printing front?  Once the
basics are out there, hopefully we'll have community motivated to take
it "the rest of the way", whatever that is.  From the comments here,
it seems like the no-discovery no-server CUPS client library could
work with a fixed server name (or control panel with IP address box to
fill in), and we can take it from there gradually.  If anyone wants to
flesh out a solid proposal, though, I'm all ears.  A proof of concept
one way or the other would be *very* useful.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )