[Server-devel] yummy moodle - xs-0.5

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 06:02:16 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Grab a recent xs-0.5 and do
>
>   yum --disablerepo=olpcxs --enablerepo=olpcxs-testing install
> xs-config moodle-xs
>   /etc/init.d/moodle start
>
> Now you have a (basic!) Moodle as the index page of the XS. Most of
> the work has gone into the infrastructure behind it.

I've just pushed out my last couple of days of work on Moodle. Have a
play - it most things autoconfigured to work well with the XO.

The workflow is simple -- this is a first step - proof-of-concept.

 - Once you register with the XS, Moodle knows about your user.
 - Moodle "login" asks you to pick your name from a list
 - *First* user to login gets a "limited admin" role called "course
creator" - can create courses, assign roles, manage the frontpage. So
this user can appoint fellow course creators -- all course creators
are equal. The main feature here is that you can't break Moodle (the
full admin role can!).
 - If you really want to login as admin, you have to get the password
from /etc/moodle/adminpw and go to
http://schoolserver/login/?showlogin=1 to get a real login form.

Of course I want to get real automagic authentication, but that will
entail hacking Browse a bit, and changes to the registration scheme.
But that's for another release :-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com