[Server-devel] XS testing

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Thu Oct 9 12:29:06 EDT 2008

At the moment, I am enabling password authentication for SSH. However,
root login via SSH will not be possible. So this test would require the
installer to log in as admin, for example. He would then su to root with
the root password set by the install script, as needed.

As far as I know, we don't have a clear plan on how to implement key
pairs. For example, the installer is likely to use the nearest available
XO to administer the system. I suppose we could use the usb drive to set
up .ssh on that XO. However, we wouldn't want the student with that XO
to be the server administrator later on. If we shut down password
authentication after the install, there is still the question of how a
technician would access the server at the school in case of a subsequent
problem.

Tony