[Server-devel] XS testing

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Wed Oct 8 01:26:06 EDT 2008

Thanks for your point about the 'headless' server. The install usb must
ensure that ssh access from an XO is sufficient to complete the install
process. As far as I know all of our installed servers will be headless.

This means the first two 'tests' should be changed:

 >> 1. Reboot the server and log in as root.
 >> 2. From an XO verify that it can connect with the server network.

1. Reboot the server and log in as root from an XO using SSH.

I don't think it makes any difference in the implementation if the usb
drive is used to install XS at the 'depot' or at the school. At the
'depot', it may be desirable to have the servers boot from the network.
As I understand it, this can be done using the same files used to create
the usb drive.

Incidentally, one point in favor of a laptop as server is that it's
battery may come in handy in schools with unstable power.

Tony