[Server-devel] Password-less authentication with moodle (Martin Langhoff)

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 09:56:30 EDT 2008

Hi Andres,

A few comments to get you warmed up. I will ask the current EduBlog team
to give you more suggestions and details too.

1 - My understanding of the current XS design is that it has one
interface visible to the Internet and another visible to the school
only. It seems pretty secure that way but it can open up a bunch of
security issues if you expose the School side interface to the Internet.
  You may need to do that in order to run EduBlog on the Internet so let
us know ASAP which services are available on public routed interfaces.

2 - Use denyhosts (http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/) or some other
protection against dictionary style attacks on any public facing interfaces.

3 - Put an anti-virus tool on the box. e.g. clamAV. Especially if your
PHP, Apache, Moodle, SQL services are visible publicly its important to
have a second line of defense in case some virus SW gets on the box.

4 - Run a port scan yourself (e.g. Nessus). Also, watch and protect
yourself against being port scanned by an attacker.

Those are some suggestion off the top of my head.  I'll try to collect
all suggestions from EduBlog round 1 and get those to you as well.

HTHs.

Thanks,

Greg S

************

Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 14:52:25 +1300 From: "Martin Langhoff"
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [Server-devel] Password-less
authentication with moodle To: " Andr?s Ambrois "
<andresambrois at gmail.com> Cc: server-devel at lists.laptop.org Message-ID:
<46a038f90810041852y7ba08ddcv4d1f0595ca82926a at mail.gmail.com>
AM, Andr?s Ambrois <andresambrois at gmail.com> wrote:

 > > The timeframe for our project is 5 weeks starting from last
Wednesday, in
 > > which I need to cover the interface (Moodle and Wordpress theming),
course
 > > configuration, authentication, modifying Write to enable blog
posting, and
 > > document all this for a manual.

Ouch - that's very tight!

 > > I'm glad I wasn't that far off  :) . Are these required
modifications documented
 > > somewhere?

Not yet. We're finishing off 0.5 - will be looking into this for 0.6
or 0.7, not too far away, unlikely to be "done" in the next 5 weeks
either :-/