[Server-devel] Server-devel Digest, Vol 18, Issue 6

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 02:14:38 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
> I completely realize that and I hope you and Greg use my e-mails as
> ammunition to get more resources :)

thanks! :-)

> I am also trying to communicate that for us and probably many other
> pilots DG is a higher priority than moodle at this moment.

Moodle is not just "nice lms" but "UI for various things". So for
example, if DG is to be tweakable in any user-friendly way, we need to
login via Moodle first.

So let me get "moodle as infrastructure component" out of the way.

And for schools that don't have internet connectivity, moodle is a
central place for resources. That's an important focus as well.

> I think the XO as XS plan has been dead a long time.

Not dead, and has a lot more going in it -- and I hope you'll be
surprised. Might require a tad of user (teacher/principal) education.
If you want, we can make "remove the screen" part of the install
instructions :-)

> Since we are working on DG, we want to make sure our work makes its way
> upstream.

What work on DG can we incorporate on the XS? Do you see a way for DG
to be dynamic / smart enough to work reasonably well?

>>  - It is trivial for the MoE to setup a co-located server at the ISP.
>>  - The server is under the control of MoE.
>>  - The performance advantages are *huge*.
>
> I think this is relatively trivial for our team in Nepal but non-trivial
> for most MoE's

This "upstream proxy" is something I'll probably provide as an XS
"companion" or as an "alternative configuration" for the XS image.
It's easier to build that than it is to solve problems that are
actually impossible :-)

> Regarding the testing methods, I believe that Tony is hoping to hear
> that his work creating testing scripts won't be totally orphaned.

Oh, is he working on some? Fantastic! Tony, can you post your notes /
plans / intentions! :-)

> I want to assure you that I am not criticizing you personally, Martin. I
> have immense respect for you. I am arguing that XS development needs
> more resources and in particular areas.

Thanks! - we agree on the need for more resources.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com