[Server-devel] What's cooking inthe XS pot -- 2008-11-26

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 09:38:29 EST 2008

XS-0.5 is done and out of the way. My focus now is on 0.6. While still
in Cambridge I worked on a  draft a plan for 0.6 -- which I've posted
earlier.  The focus is deployability in Peru (lease mgmt) and Rwanda
(scalability).

Some valuable features lost in the triage, features that are fun and
easy to tackle -- they are now tagged "grabme":
https://dev.laptop.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=milestone&component=school+server&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=status&keywords=~grabme&row=description

=Last week=

We had SugarCamp and a countries meeting. At SugarCamp, we had good
discussions about networking infrastructure and the collaboration
stack -- I'm hoping 9.1 will be a bit more XS aware. The countries
meeting was a good opportunity to check we are on the right path with
our priorities.

The education team also spared some time to meet with me and flesh out
a plan for how to make Moodle useful for OLPC users. We now have a
much better understanding of the educational and technical challenges,
and a draft plan forward (to be posted soon).

Going forward:

* Flesh out the details of the educational Moodle plan. Even if it's
not prioritised now, needs to be documented before it's forgotten.
Some of the work is generally interesting to the Moodle project, so we
may get help there too.

* Get working on XS-0.6 priorities
** Lease management -- I'm planning to ask for some help here,  feel
free to convince Ed you can help me with a couple of weeks of work on
the server side of lease mgmt, and a bit of the client side too.
** ejabberd -- help Douglas make noise with the ejabberd devs, the
patch we have makes a tiny improvement, but not quite what we wanted.

I would like to thank everybody who helped to raise XS into the
current shape.  Especially I would like to thank the server-devel
regulars whose help I have relied on and expect to continue relying on
heavily:

 - John Watlington on architectural and hardware stuff

 - Jerry Vonau on Fedora networking and distro spin stuff

 - Reuben on deployment stuff

 - Rahul Sundaram, Robin Norwood and others on Fedora packaging help

 - Early users - Bryan Berry & Nepal team, David Leeming + Pacific team

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com