[Server-devel] ejabberd tests with old and new TLS code

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Fri Nov 21 09:02:54 EST 2008

Hi Douglas,

Thank you so much for this work.  We are trying to come up the learning
curve on the XS and scalability and I'm sure that I care about this data.
Deds and I have been contemplating these and your previous results this
morning and moving ourselves up the learning curve.

TLS = ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security  correct?

When you test old and new TLS there are code changes on both XO and XS?

What releases are the control setup?  IS the New TLS released code?

Questions about the methodology.

   - 1 connection models 1 user?
   - Does it just connect?  does it share any activities? would sharing
   activities affect the outcome in XS in any way?
   - Have you tested with current shared roaster vs a roster grouping system
   that only allows say 30 or 50 people in any online users roaster at once?
   If not do you expect that to be an important factor?

Thanks,
Caroline & Deds

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 5:34 AM, Douglas Bagnall <douglas at paradise.net.nz>wrote:

> With the @online@ shared roster, I have found a small decrease in both
> memory and CPU consumption with the new tls code, as shown here:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_resource_tests/tls_comparison
>
> This is based on these two test runs:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_resource_tests/try_7
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_resource_tests/try_6
>
> which can be found in raw form, and converted into graphs via the
> next two links:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/~dbagnall/ejabberd-tests/<http://dev.laptop.org/%7Edbagnall/ejabberd-tests/>
> http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/dbagnall/ejabberd-tests.git
>
> These are different tests than the one I reported a few weeks ago,
> which was conducted without the shared roster.  Evgeniy asked if I
> could repeat that test with SMP disabled, but it happens that I can't
> because I've lost one of the computers that ran the clients.  I could
> re-run this one without SMP if that was likely to be interesting.
>
> It looks like the cost of @online@ shared roster outweighs the cost of
> TLS.  That's about as insightful as I get at this time of night.
>

> douglas

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com