[Server-devel] Concerns about ejabberd + 767

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 00:36:56 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone here has seriously tested build 767
> together with XS 0.4? Specifically the ejabberd and ID manager.

Yes. The OLPC QA team has done lots of testing of 8.2, all against
XS-0.4. Following the install instructions to the letter, they've got
things going in predictable ways. It's not a perfect score -- past
certain numbers, presence service and sharing get into a bit of
trouble, but it's stable and predictable.

Search for emails from joe at laptop.org on the devel list talking about
collaboration for the numbers (which I can't remember now).

Other than that, the main issue with ejabberd is memory usage -- with
large numbers of users, it'd bound to consume lots of RAM. We're
working on that towards xs-0.6.

> We are deploying to a new school later this week and the only loose ends
> right now is the idmgr and ejabberd. Prithak Sharma and Tony Anderson
> are working very hard on getting the XS ready for this week's
> deployment.

I'd suggest considering xs-0.5 -- it has quite a few improvements, and
more importantly, it'll be much easier to upgrade to 0.6 by skipping
the larger and at points complex upgrade path from 0.4 to 0.5.

Also - if you can get us enough info to diagnose specific issues with
ejabberd... I'm all ears!

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com