[Server-devel] Installing on dual boot

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 19:07:10 EST 2008

Hi David!

the xs-0.4 installer will wipe your disk clean. Avoid it!

The xs-0.5 installer (wait a day or so for the formal release, or grab
the 'dev10' candidate) is pretty much a vanilla Fedora installer using
anaconda. That means that you can use the usual "how to get Fedora 9
to dual boot with windows" procedures published.

You can probably make it use just one partition instead of the /boot,
/ and /library set it wants. Some scripts do assume that /library is
separate when calculating user storage quotas but you're unlikely to
see any problems with that, unless you create tons of user accounts in
it (via registration).

I'm a bit out of touch as to which procedures are best, specially in
your case when you already have windows installed. One strategy I've
used in the past has been to shrink the ntfs partition and install
linux, with grub in the MBR controlling the multi-boot process.