[Server-devel] XS 0.5 upgrade notes

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 12 00:31:32 EST 2008

Some issues noticed with an upgrade from XS 0.4 to a XS 0.5 candidate.

1. eth0 and eth1 swapped physical ports.
   After swapping the cables and `service network restart`, everything was good.

2. A modified /etc/ssh/sshd_config was overwritten by xs-config.
   This I guess was not entirely unexpected, but it is less than 100% nice.

3. Various calls to createuser failed (in moodle and xs-config).
   ("could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to
   server: No such file or directory")

4. rsyslog was not listed in xs-pkgs (fixed), causing an error for xs-config.

5. system-config-firewall upgrade failed
   with "ImportError: cannot import name CTC" -- this has been noticed
   by several people upgrading to Fedora 9.  (do we need
   system-config-firewall, anyway?)

6. %postun error in avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386

I think Martin is working on #3. #4 is (theoretically) fixed.  The
others look WONTFIX-able.

At this point I tried to yum upgrade to get changes I'd made since
spinning the ISO, but nothing happened, because:

[root at schoolserver1 ~]# yum repolist
repo id              repo name                                status
fedora               Fedora 7 - i386                          enabled :   7,382
olpc                 OLPC 7 - i386                            enabled :      83
updates              Fedora 7 - i386 - Updates                enabled :   4,545

Yum still wants to use the XS 0.4 repos.  This seems to be related to
#8033 and the use of the alternate /etc/yum.repos.olpc.d/, but I'm not
entirely sure of the solution.

Douglas