[Server-devel] The road towards xs-0.3 - update (Martin Langhoff)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue May 27 17:12:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:47 AM, Greg Smith (gregmsmi)
<gregmsmi at cisco.com> wrote:
> Looks great overall, thanks!

Cool.

> Very sorry to hear about your crash. Not sure how to say this
> diplomatically so I'll just put it in plain text: I'm really glad you're
> still alive!
>
> BTW In my experience, a serious car crash takes a while to assimilate
> psychologically. Give yourself some time.

Thanks! I'm very glad to be here - I just had 2 *tiny* cuts in my
right temple, for a crash that could have been a lot more serious.

> On the school server plan, keep us posted on identity scheme.

There was a thread last week on this, and I had a chat w Ivan that I
reported back. Here it is:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2008-May/000999.html

That shows the thinking that has happened so far. There are acouple of
alternatives, but the bottom line for webapp developers looks like
this:

 - For webapps running on the XS - Don't worry about authentication
just yet, assume you'll be able to read an env variable from the
Apache environment containing a userid. Regardless of _how_ the XO
identifies itself to the XS, I'll work to make it "transparent" or at
least trivial to the webapp layer, regardless of implementation
language / technology. In the meantime, just use whatever you want :-)

 - For webapps running on 3rd party servers, support openID "client"
authentication.

> I'm moving
> ahead with EduBlog project. One intern (Tarun) is on board and a
> probably a few volunteer programmers in Montevideo.

Fantastic.

> I hope we can send
> much more details on the design proposal and get your comment and buy in
> soon. Current thinking (Spanish and English below) is at:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Blog_Educativo_Plan_del_Proyecto

I'll read it in detail and post back here. Are the programmers around
here? I'm happy to have the thread be bilingual, but if you don't say
anything I'll keep it in English :-)

> More details on EduBlog to follow in June. Hopefully we will have a
> short, intense discussion on the preferred web app on XS software design
> on this list. For EduBlog it has to be over by mid-June because we need
> to complete any programming before the end of July.

Ok. So lets get that conversation going :-)

> I'll also try to line up people to help build, test or add to what you
> think is important on the XS. Not sure about the capacity of volunteers,
> but let us know where you think people can chip in and we'll see.

Thanks! I will try to put together a list of medium
workload/complexity projects that are easier to take on by volunteers.

> BTW the teachers in Peru have been running their own internet based
> Moodle collaboration environment since 2006! I'm coming around to the
> idea that Moodle is central to the whole XS set of capabilities :-)

Moodle!? What's that? ;-)

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com