[Server-devel] XS software compatibility question

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon May 19 23:39:16 EDT 2008

On May 19, 2008, at 6:18 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Berkowitz Andrew (Project Connect) >
> The installation was perfect with the full Fedora 7 installation.
>>
>> Is it possible to install all of OLPC's customizations on top of a
>> stock
>> Fedora installation?
>
> Yes. Add the XS repositories to your yum sources, and install xs-pkgs
> from there (which should pull all the right dependencies). I suspect
> it will muck up a few things, such as user accts created for
> processes. The kernel might also be missing those specific drivers you
> need.

The config file for ejabberd is in xs-config, so you will probably want
to replace the Fedora repos with the OLPC ones, and install xs-pkgs
and xs-config.

(I'm thinking evil thoughts about just installing the idmgr and ejabberd
packages and grabbing the ejabberd config file from git...   Since in
the NYC installation you provide all networking services externally!)

> So I can't guarantee it will work.
Definitely not, but I bet it will be close.
Don't forget to reboot after installing xs-config, to trigger any
post-first-boot
network configurations...

>> How else would you suggest we proceed?
>
> Hmmm. As you aren't using AAs, you probably don't need ourcustom
> kernel. So perhaps install xs-config and then review what xs-pkgs will
> pull in - you'll want to install all of that except for the custom
> kernel.

We have no custom kernel, our repositories simply contain a freeze of
the Fedora 7 release/update repos at a recent date.  You are safe
there...

Thanks for working on this!
wad