[Server-devel] Permissions in /sys/class/net/msh0

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Thu May 15 21:49:50 EDT 2008

On May 15, 2008, at 9:31 PM, Anna wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been at this for days now and am only emailing out of
> desperation.

Hi, Anna.   Good to hear from you again!
Please don't wait until you are desperate to drop us a note.

> I'm on server build 161 (the 163 install didn't work on my hardware),
> though I enabled the testing repos to get what I hope is closer to
> 163.

What was the error when installing 163 ?   We want to know about
these things!

> Anyway, I finally managed to trick the server into seeing a msh0
> device.  I've got 3 NICs - eth0, eth1, and msh0.  I put HWADDR=<mac
> address> for the third NIC in the ifcfg-msh0 files.

Why did you have to trick it ?   Do you have an Active Antenna ?

> Now that I've got /sys/class/net/msh0, the olpc-mesh-script wants
> to run
> at boot.  Which is great!  But, something's the matter with the
> permissions.  On boot, when it tries to echo 1 >
> /sys/class/net/msh0/anycast_mask, permission is denied.  I can't
> even do
> it manually.

When I've seen this in the past, it was because the driver wasn't the
right
one...   Unless the driver for the third interface is the libertas
driver, this will fail.

> I'm guessing there's a udev rule somewhere that needs to be edited or
> added.  Any ideas?
>
> The reason I'm doing this is to try to see if I can get a school mesh
> portal point to work with off the shelf hardware.  If anyone has an
> easier way to do that or can point me towards the documentation, I
> would
> be grateful for any assistance.

I don't think there is any way currently to run a (pseudo) 802.11s
mesh with
OTS 802.11b/g hardware at this time, although the Open802.11s project is
working on that.   If you have OTS APs, just hook them up to the
second NIC
and let the laptops connect that way.

We do have Active Antennas available.   Send mail to
developer at laptop.org
and specifically request an Active Antenna.   Please cc me, as the
process
by which these are supposed to get fulfilled has been broken lately...

Cheers,
wad