[Server-devel] [laptop.org #8321] Questions about XO mesh networking

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 11:22:45 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > 6. Are the specs here for the hardware of a server here still current :
>  > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XSX_Server_Implementation
>
>  I don't know about this. We are using different specs in Nepal
>
>  1.8 GHz Intel Core duo
>  1 GB of RAM
>  120 GB Hard drive
>
>  We have a souped up XS because we intend to use Moodle and Mediawiki
>  extensively.

The CPU will be ok. And HD should be enough until the point where
backups from the XOs start to work properly, there you might need more
storage once kids get good with the camera ;-)

RAM-wise 1GB is tight. I am surewe can get Apache/PHP/Postgres-mysql
tuned to work well with 1GB but I haven't seen ejabberd+roster with
lots of active users around. Wad, do you know what the mem footprint
is?

Squid is known to be a problem WRT memory usage -

>  >Currently the only hardware we
>  > have to run XS would be one of the XOs or an old IBM/Panasonic laptop
>  > (PIII800)

I do hope to support an XO+harddrive for small groups (~30), but
that's unrealistic at the moment...

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com