[Server-devel] reiterate need for simplified Moodle and Mediawiki UI

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 01:03:57 EDT 2008

Hey guys,

Great meeting last night.

I made a point last night but I just want to reiterate it because it is
quite important for us here in Nepal.

The regular Moodle and Mediawiki UI's are far too complex for novice
computer users. I am specifically thinking of teachers  who are very
literate but not used to dealing with complex UI's w/ lots of buttons
and text. The kids will figure it out but we need to simplify the Moodle
and Mediawiki UI's so that teachers feel comfortable w/ them.

We want to use Moodle to lay out lesson plans for the teachers. These
lesson plans will give the teachers a clear idea of how to use the XO's
and activities in the classroom setting. W/out lesson plans many will
just go back to their old ways of doing things and not integrate the
XO's (and constructivism) into their regular activities.

I still think Moodle and mediawiki are the right tools. We just need to
make them conform to the Sugar Human Interface Guidelines. I would like
to work on this but teacher training starts on Saturday and I am way
behind! :)

Martin, I believe you mentioned in the meeting yesterday that you will
look for k-6 resources for Moodle. I look forward to seeing those.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Systems Engineer