[Server-devel] Database on server

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Thu Mar 20 14:17:40 EDT 2008

I notice that the pre-installed database for the xs build is PostGres.  Now
I have nothing against PostGres.  It is a fine database, and was a "real"
(ACID) database from the start, unlike MySQL.  I certainly advocated that it
be used in preference to MySQL for de novo projects at clients in the past.
But from the standpoint of making a choice that enables the most other open
source software to be installed and to run without difficulty, I believe
MySQL would be a better choice today, especially since its former
deficiencies have largely been rectified.  In summary this is a
recommendation based on a desire to lower the development costs of reusing
software, not a theoretical determination of which database is "better".

Any thoughts?

Carol Lerche