[Server-devel] easy backup solution for Linux? (Aaron Huslage)

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 23:55:20 EDT 2008

Aaron wrote:
>the server
>should very much (to my mind) be purely an appliance (as opposed to the
>laptop, which decidedly is not)

>I'm really only interested in helping get the
>product out the door with as little reinvention as possible.

Aaron, I completely agree that we need an appliance for the XS and we
should avoid reinvention for the short term. It needs to be modular
enough so that I can turn off certain services that I don't need, such
as Squid and Dansguardian.

In the long term, there appears to be concern that the existing
administration interfaces for servers are not sufficient for our needs.
I personally not worked w/ webmin or the admin interface for Centos SME
Server so I cannot comment from experience.

If there are programming resources to create a better administration
interface, maybe that should be pursued. If there aren't sufficient
resources for this, then we should stick to existing tools like Webmin
or Centos SME interface. We can't just spec out an idealized interface
and expect it to materialize if there aren't resources to develop it.