[Server-devel] Sharing Expreriences

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Fri Mar 14 01:03:12 EDT 2008

On Mar 14, 2008, at 12:54 AM, Bryan Berry wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> In the next couple of months,  we are going to begin an OLPC pilot
>> here in Colombia, i've been lurking around in this list
>> to learn about the school server installation and so on, although
>> there are nice documents in the wiki, that i'm beginning to
>> translate to spanish, i wanted to know if anyone of you have
>> special recommendations for this installation or also wanted to
>> share with me your experiences about it, although i haven't been in
>> the designated places to this pilot, i'm beginning to make a test
>> environment.
>
> Great to hear!
>
> We haven't tested the build 160 yet but look forward to using it.
>
> I highly recommend installing XFCE4 if you are not a command line
> master
>
> yum groupinstall 'XFCE4'
> yum groupinstall 'X Window System'

> XS-150 didn't have all the necessary dependencies for X Windows to run
> properly so we needed the second command. Don't know if the same
> applies
> to XS-160

I didn't add additional packages.  The intent is to slim down the
base install,
not increase it, since yum provides an easy way to expand the
functionality.

No firm decisions yet, lobby the list if you feel strongly one way or
another.
A build with added functionality is always an easy option (just a
different
livecd.ks file).