[Server-devel] Samba's Talloc and mem pressure on the XS - tinkerers?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 22:12:17 EDT 2008

Opening post cross-posted to devel@ but please reply only to server-devel@ :-)

Couple weeks ago we had Tridge @ 1CC and while jg and I cried about
memory pressure on XO and XS, he suggested we try talloc, and monitor
actual memory usage with the newfangled smaps.

This is something I'm very keen on doing, but definitely haven't been
able to work on yet. And it's orthogonal to everything else we arew
doing. Some interesting things to tackle

 - Have a look at Apache's memory usage when serving something like
moodle or mediawiki, using ps_mem.py - see how apache processes do
_not_ release mem back to the OS mem pool after serving a page. (They
will when they are reaped, but that's a different question...)

 - Compile talloc and run the nasty apache/php combo with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to talloc - hopefully apache, php and the php
extensions behave well and actually release memory after the page is
served.

 - Compare performance (ab is good enough) of php execution when using
talloc, vs using the normal glibc malloc+apache set to
MaxRequestsPerChild 1 (reaping every child after serving the page).

Bind with talloc might be another trick to play with, though perhaps
that's a lost cause, and a clean cut to dnsmasq might be better.

Any takers?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com