[Server-devel] Target price and quantitiy

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Sun Jun 22 23:54:15 EDT 2008

On Jun 22, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Christopher Niemöller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was playing around with some embedded computing and rugged hardware
> and got some questions.
>
> Whats the target price for the school server?

Around 500 USD for a server plus 500GB disk.
Networking (access points and switches) are additional
(although ideally a four port switch is built in...)

> How many school server are needed anyway?

One per school...   Larger schools need more capable servers.
There is no single solution, from a product design perspective.

If we concentrate on the needs of smaller rural schools (30-300 kids),
we are talking about the $500 server mentioned above, with
tough environmental constraints.  In this case, we are unfortunately
only talking about 5K-10K units per year, and these are spread across
multiple countries.

> As you might know, its my job to design such systems, please dont take
> this questions the wrong way. I dont want to sell anything, but Im
> interested in supporting this project. ;)

We have no problem with people interested in selling stuff.
We need to buy servers ourselves for use in trials, etc...

Cheers,
wad