[Server-devel] VPN server for our project

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Jun 22 08:30:38 EDT 2008

I've tested PPTP and OpenVPN on XO.  Works fine.  The PPP MPPE module is
already present (drivers/net/ppp_mppe.ko).  Using a VPN adds overhead to
the network communication.  Isn't as secure as you might think.

I'm the release engineer for PPTP on Linux, and C. Scott Ananian in OLPC
is the author.

I've not tried it on XS.  PPTP project did some load calculations a year
or two ago, and found that a 500Mhz 64Mb server could handle several
hundred users so long as they did not try to do something all at the same
time.  It would be practical to test on XS, but it is a zero sum game,
you'd lose capacity.

In my opinion, avoid creating a false sense of security ... the kids
should be taught personal information privacy very early, and the best
way to do that is for them to make small mistakes and learn from them.

France.  Are you sure you can use strong cryptographic encryption?  I
seem to remember some hindrance at law.  I haven't kept up to date with
that.